Checklist for hiring residential care for aging parents

November 3, 2015

If you have ageing parent(s) and your busy work schedule is preventing you from spending quality time with them, the points discussed in the article will help get the best professional assistance on-board.

Checklist for hiring residential care for aging parents

Is residential care right for your senior-citizen parent?

Choosing residential care is an emotional and personal decision. Providing first-rate care for your ageing parents at home is easy as long as they don't need specialized medical care or suffer from debilitating ailments. However, if they do need special care, or have frequent spells of memory loss or disorientation, then they are safer and better cared for in a residential care facility.

Cost of residential care

If your parent(s) qualify for residential treatment, you'll be expected to pay for their monthly accommodation and food expenses. The costs are based on your tax returns or your parent's returns if they have a steady annual income source. You are also required to submit a signed consent form, permitting the government access to your Revenue Canada records every year.

Once the assessment is done, the case manager details the residential care costs. People who don't sign the form are charged the steepest rate. In subsidized residential care homes, the government takes care of all medical and nursing expenses. Besides this, there is day-to-day living cost just like in ordinary homes to consider. Make it a point to get a complete list of mandatory expenses from the case manager.

Choosing the right facility

Once you've decided to hire residential care for your ageing parents your next step is to choose the right place. All residential care facilities have information brochures. If you don't find the information you are looking for, don't hesitate to call the facility and talk to a case manager.

You may want to find out if your parents can continue seeing their own physician; if not, what kind of emergency medical care does the facility have.

Most residential care homes have a recreational therapist. Joining support groups and recreational therapy can keep your parents occupied or even discover new hobbies and talents.

Finally, subsidized residential facilities take in new residents based on availability. There is no guarantee your parent will be placed in a care facility of your choice. However, applications for transfer are allowed. If you are considering a transfer when an opening comes up, talk to your parents' case manager or social worker about it.

The material on this website is provided for entertainment, informational and educational purposes only and should never act as a substitute to the advice of an applicable professional. Use of this website is subject to our terms of use and privacy policy.
Close menu