Get rid of the mould in your roof for a better home and health

December 23, 2014

As a homeowner, roof mould can be cause allergies, headaches and skin irritation. Here are some helpful tips of how to deal with mould in your roof.

Get rid of the mould in your roof for a better home and health

Understanding mould in our homes

Mould is a fungus that feeds off the oxygen and carbon from organic materials. Its main concern is due to its growth inside of the home as well. Basically, mould can develop in any condition as long as there is moisture. In homes, mould build up is prevalent in areas such as, walls, ceiling, windows, floor, furniture, insulation, air ducts, clothes and the basement. Mould in these situations develop from high moisture content caused by water leaks or organic debris becoming a food source.

Where to typically look for mould in the home

The relationship between mold and moisture is key to looking for areas where there is mould damage. Therefore, areas in the home that have been recently water damaged are a good place to start. A water damaged area that isn’t properly cleaned will typically have a mould problem when left for a long period of time. Also look for things like damaged pipes to see if there's any mould build up around it.

Some methods for detecting mould require homeowners to look for areas in the home that are high in moisture. For moisture to build up, there has to be humidity. Indoor humidity fluctuates a lot more than outdoor, therefore places like the roof would be a place where you’d look for any kind of water leaking and if there are any mould issues surrounding the leaking area.

How to know when your roof has mould

Molding on roofs typically occurs in warm and humid summers. It's usually non-toxic and does no damage to your roof. It looks like a blue-green algae that stains and streaks the shingles of your roof.

What to do about mold in the roof

When roof mould is detected, the inexpensive way of fixing the issue is by simply cleaning the affected area with a spray bottle of 50 per cent bleach and water, however this doesn’t ensure its permanent removal. To prevent the mold from coming back, insert six-inch-wide strips of zinc or copper under the row of shingles closest to the roof peak. Leave an inch or two exposed to rain because the metal molecules will wash down the roof and kill remaining mould.

The material on this website is provided for entertainment, informational and educational purposes only and should never act as a substitute to the advice of an applicable professional. Use of this website is subject to our terms of use and privacy policy.
Close menu