Sensitive skin? Why you should wear hypoallergenic jewellery

November 24, 2014

Much as you love wearing jewellery does an allergic reaction always spoil your fun? The solution is stylish and inexpensive: hypoallergenic jewellery. Here's why you should wear it.
Am I allergic to my jewellery? The signs

Whenever you wear your favorite earrings, do you get irritated skin? Red blotches? A stinging sensation? Signs of inflammation? Pimples? It’s a good bet that you’re allergic to one or more metals in your jewellery—the culprit usually being nickel metal. For many in the same boat as you, wearing nickel-free jewellery can help.Here's why you, too, should wear hypoallergenic jewellery.

The different kinds of hypoallergenic jewellery

Opting for hypoallergenic jewellery means choosing quality items made from purer metals or alternative materials. If you're wondering which materials will agree with your skin, try jewellery created from the following:

  • Platinum
  • Tungsten
  • Titanium
  • Stainless steel (as long as it doesn’t contain nickel)
  • Wood
  • Ceramic
  • Eighteen-karat gold
  • Copper
  • Sterling silver
  • Rope and other natural fibres

Does all jewellery cause similar allergic reactions?

All poor-quality jewellery may cause allergic reactions. However, some people will have a stronger reaction to necklaces, earrings and bracelets than others. People with allergic reactions also sometimes notice skin discoloration, particularly with rings and bracelets.

In search of the culprits

Now you know that nickel is often the first culprit, especially during hot weather, when sweat can cause metals to oxidize. Nickel allergies often occur spontaneously, and it’s impossible to know in advance whether a person will have a reaction. Some people also suffer from allergies to chromium, silver and even gold, especially when it’s mixed with nickel. Keep in mind that nickel is often used in alloys containing several different metals.

A mistake to avoid

Do you think your body will eventually adapt if you keep on wearing jewellery that causes an allergic reaction? In fact, the irritation could worsen over time. It may be hard to let go of a cherished necklace or pair of earrings, but it’s far better to just stop wearing the jewellery than risk chronic and uncomfortable skin irritations.

One thing leads to another

If you are going to have a body piercing done and you often have allergic reactions, make sure that the needle used is hypoallergenic.

Whether you shop in a traditional jewellery store or online, you’ll find a wide range of hypoallergenic jewellery that will look sensational, stylish and attractive without you having to suffer. Some jewellers make their own unique handmade hypoallergenic jewellery, so you shouldn’t have a hard time finding something to catch your eye. And don‘t forget, hypoallergenic jewellery is always a great gift idea!

Sensitive skin? Why you should wear hypoallergenic jewellery
The material on this website is provided for entertainment, informational and educational purposes only and should never act as a substitute to the advice of an applicable professional. Use of this website is subject to our terms of use and privacy policy.
Close menu